For Researchers of Nancy (Treadaway) Pope
The wife of William H. Pope of the 1860 Marengo, Alabama census was Nancy Treadaway. Nancy's last name is proven by the death records of her son, Thomas Curby Pope. Popular opinion is that Nancy's middle name was "Emeline". Thus far, I have been completely unable to locate historic records to demonstrate this to be correct. It is my belief that the popular opinion as to Nancy's middle name may be based solely upon the fact that the eldest female child enumerated William H. Pope's family in the 1860 U.S. Federal Census of Marengo, Alabama was named Emeline.
I believe that I have already identified the parents and ancestors of Nancy Treadaway. I am, however, reluctant to publish that information here at the current time because of conflicts arising from my genealogical research with the information contained within the family trees of others.
The conflicts between my research and the trees of other researchers appear to be rooted in those other researchers' reliance upon information contained within the "Descendants of Richard Treadway" website instead of upon historic records and due diligent research. While the "Descendants of Richard Treadway" website does provide some amount of valuable information for genealogical research in the Treadway/Treadaway families, it is also wrought with errors.
I have reached out to the webmaster of the Treadway website and sent him three PDF documents demonstrating just a handful of the errors contained in his site. I sincerely hope that he will apply the necessary corrections to his site so that other researchers may better benefit from his online resource.
For those who rely/relied upon the "Descendants of Richard Treadway" website for their genealogical works, I am making those three PDF files available so that you may benefit by correcting these errors in your trees.
File 1: Treadaway-Review-1.pdf.
File 2: Treadaway-Review-2.pdf.
File 3: Treadaway-Review-3.pdf.
- June 28, 2015 18:14 - Research: For Researchers of Nancy (Treadaway) Pope
- April 19, 2015 14:09 - From The Webmaster: Rev. Dr. Roy D. Pope, Jr. Commissioned as Hon. Colonel in Alabama State Militia by Gov. Bentley
- August 11, 2014 3:19 - From The Webmaster: Genealogy Software Available
- August 10, 2014 15:43 - Research: Tip For Documenting DNA Matches in a Family Tree
- August 4, 2014 23:29 - From The Webmaster: Met Another Cousin Yesterday
- June 21, 2014 2:36 - From The Webmaster: Online Tree at Ancestry made Private
- May 15, 2014 0:28 - Research: Who Was "John Trippe Pope"?
- May 11, 2014 18:50 - Research: Winfield and Poole Hall Pope
- May 11, 2014 1:01 - From The Webmaster: Major Update to Pope Family Tree Database
- May 10, 2014 1:36 - Research: Mystery Solved! Parents of William H. Pope Discovered
- May 8, 2014 2:03 - Research: William H. Pope and Joel W. Pope Were Not Brothers
- April 24, 2014 15:09 - Research: A Whole Lot of Messed Up Pope Trees
- February 27, 2014 14:23 - Research: Marengo, AL Pope and Hill Relation Confirmed With AncestryDNA
- October 19, 2013 18:23 - Research: Hills, Huckabees, Whites and Popes of Alabama
- May 22, 2013 15:13 - Research: A Genealogy of The Pope Family of Kentucky
- May 18, 2013 20:28 - Research: Descendants of LTC Nathaniel Pope
- May 18, 2013 19:05 - Research: Pope AncestryDNA Project
- May 10, 2013 17:08 - From The Webmaster: Family and Descendants of Joel W. Pope
- May 10, 2013 13:15 - From The Webmaster: The Pope Family Tree Website