Research Temporarily StifledFor nearly a week, my research has been pretty much put on hold at Ancestry.com. At the same time that Ancestry.com released their iOS mobile update, many of their subscribers (myself included) lost all or nearly all of the hints that we had accumulated over the years to records about the ancestors in our family trees.
Only a very small fraction of my family tree is published on the Pope Family Tree website. In my entire tree, there are more than 21,000 people. With that many people in my tree, Ancestry.com had generated more than 60,000 record hints which I had been working my way through. Those record hints almost completely disappeared five days ago, leaving me with practically no leads to follow in the continuation of my research.
When brought to the attention of Ancestry.com support personnel, the only response that I or anyone else can get out of them is that they are aware of the problem, they are working on it, and they have no idea how long it will be before the problems with the hint system are fixed.
The hint system is not the only feature of Ancestry.com that has been having problems lately. Subscribers have also been reporting problems for the past ten days with obtaining their DNA raw data downloads. This is not good at all.
With as many problems as people appear to be having, I am really nervous about even synchronizing my FTM tree with my online tree. As such, many of the updates to the Pope Family Tree cannot yet be transferred over to my computer for upload to the Pope Family Tree site.
Rest assured, once things are back in working order at Ancestry.com, I'll be back at work researching and building onto the research that is already posted here. I will also be publishing an update to this site's database which will contain a literal ton of updated information.
Until then, guess I'm just gonna be moving along at a snail's pace.
- September 3, 2014 3:30 - Research: Research Temporarily Stifled
- August 11, 2014 3:19 - From The Webmaster: Genealogy Software Available
- August 10, 2014 15:43 - Research: Tip For Documenting DNA Matches in a Family Tree
- August 4, 2014 23:29 - From The Webmaster: Met Another Cousin Yesterday
- June 21, 2014 2:36 - From The Webmaster: Online Tree at Ancestry made Private
- May 15, 2014 0:28 - Research: Who Was "John Trippe Pope"?
- May 11, 2014 18:50 - Research: Winfield and Poole Hall Pope
- May 11, 2014 1:01 - From The Webmaster: Major Update to Pope Family Tree Database
- May 10, 2014 1:36 - Research: Mystery Solved! Parents of William H. Pope Discovered
- May 8, 2014 2:03 - Research: William H. Pope and Joel W. Pope Were Not Brothers
- April 24, 2014 15:09 - Research: A Whole Lot of Messed Up Pope Trees
- February 27, 2014 14:23 - Research: Marengo, AL Pope and Hill Relation Confirmed With AncestryDNA
- October 19, 2013 18:23 - Research: Hills, Huckabees, Whites and Popes of Alabama
- May 22, 2013 15:13 - Research: A Genealogy of The Pope Family of Kentucky
- May 18, 2013 20:28 - Research: Descendants of LTC Nathaniel Pope
- May 18, 2013 19:05 - Research: Pope AncestryDNA Project
- May 10, 2013 17:08 - From The Webmaster: Family and Descendants of Joel W. Pope
- May 10, 2013 13:15 - From The Webmaster: The Pope Family Tree Website